POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Mega 0.8? : Re: 3.5 -> break? -> 4.0 Server Time
6 Oct 2024 11:41:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3.5 -> break? -> 4.0
From: Tony[B]
Date: 8 Jun 2001 10:34:48
Message: <3b20e288@news.povray.org>
>   I haven't the slightest idea, but from my personal experience rewriting
> completely a software this large can take years.

I figure the very planning of the rewrite will take a few months... but once
that's done, wouldn't delegating small chuncks to many programmers get

a year or two. Of course, first we have to find the "many programmers" to
help in the first place. :\ Darn... there goes that plan. Anybody got a
better idea?

On a related note, I think it would be nice if the development of POV could
be opened up a little more. Something like this:

1) Projects are assigned by the Team. The Team is working on the core
(whatever that is), and leaves everyone else to do the small(er) stuff.

2) A dropbox is setup, whereto people send their possible solutions to the
assigned problem.

3) A designated senior programmer from the Team reviews the suggestions to
choose the best one, and improves it, if possible.

Of course, this is just me coming up with it as I go along, so forgive me
for my ignorance and enthusiasm. :)    (Hides from Warp's incoming barage.)